One of the best things about the Farmers Market is discovering new produce that you may not have seen before. For example, you may have noticed Golden Beets. While they have almost the same nutritional value and are packed with vitamins and minerals, they have a sweeter flavor than traditional red beets.
This soup from Olive and Mango combines golden beets and apples for a sweet, creamy flavor profile.
- 3 medium golden beets, peeled, roots and leaves trimmed, medium dice
- 2 medium gala apples, peeled and cored, medium dice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp butter or more olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion or 4 small shallots, peeled and diced small
- 3 stalks celery, diced small
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced small
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ c heavy cream or coconut cream plus more to swirl in before serving
- Preheat oven to 425° F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss beets and apples in 2 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt and spread evenly onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Roast 30 to 35 minutes or until soft and tender, flipping halfway.
- As beets are finishing roasting, heat butter or olive oil in a saucepan over medium/low heat.
- Add onion and sauté for a couple of minutes.
- Add celery, carrot, and a pinch of salt; stir, and sauté until tender, 7-10 minutes
- Once veggies are done remove them from the oven and carefully add them to the pot.
- Add the broth and smoked paprika, and allow to simmer for another 7-10 minutes until everything is completely tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup. (If using a stationary blender, might need to do in small batches.)
- Return soup to pot if using a stationary blender and stir in the cream if using – heat through and remove from heat and serve with a swirl of cream and some savory granola.
Market Shopping List:
Onion or Shallots