This weekend’s cooler weather has us craving some comfort food. A hearty take on a Shepherd’s Pie sounds like it will hit the spot. Bonus: it is super easy to put together and you can find most of the ingredients at the market on Saturday!
BBQ Pork Shepherd’s Pie – Adapted from Eat This
- 3 medium sweet potatoes – about 12 ounces
- 2 Tbsp ghee
- ¼ c milk
- ½ tsp salt, divided
- ½ tsp smoked paprika, plus additional for garnish
- 1 lb ground pork
- ½ c thinly sliced celery
- ½ c chopped onion
- ½ c chopped green peppers
- 2 c chopped kale
- ¾ c BBQ sauce
- ½ tsp cumin
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F. Pierce the sweet potatoes with a fork in 5 to 6 places. Place on a microwavable plate and cook on high 5 to 8 minutes or until tender, rotating halfway through cook time; set aside to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, peel and place in a mixing bowl. Mash with ghee, milk, 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, and smoked paprika until creamy.
- Meanwhile, cook pork, celery, onion and sweet peppers in a skillet over medium heat until meat is browned and vegetables are tender. Drain fat. Add kale, barbecue sauce, cumin, and remaining 1⁄4 teaspoon salt to skillet. Cook 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Transfer mixture to a 1 1⁄2-quart casserole or baking dish.
- Spread sweet potato mixture over the pork mixture. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes or until heated through and sweet potatoes are slightly browned.
- Sprinkle with additional smoked paprika and chopped parsley.
Market Shopping List:
BBQ Sauce – Taste NY