I don’t know about you but this weather makes me want to hunker down at home. I think an easy soup will do the trick this week. Soups are great for any season as you can essentially put anything you want in them. I am going to use some seasonal ingredients that can easily be found at the market.
Sweet Potato Sausage Soup – From Martha Stewart
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced large
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper
- ¾ pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 sweet potatoes (1 pound total), peeled and diced medium
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup small pasta shells
- 4 cups roughly chopped mixed greens, such as kale or swiss chard
- Grated Parmesan, for serving
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium-high. Add onion and garlic and cook until onion is translucent, about 6 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Add sausage and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add sweet potatoes, broth, and 2 cups water and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook 3 minutes less than package instructions. Reduce to a simmer, add greens, and cook until pasta is tender and greens are wilted, 4 minutes. Serve with Parmesan.
Market Shopping List:
- Italian Sausage
- Sweet Potatoes