Salads are traditionally thought of as a summer dish – crisp lettuce, juicy tomatoes, cool cucumbers. But there are still TONS of veggies available at the market during the winter months and they can be used to create hearty, savory salads that are sure to please any palate. Featured below are two great winter salad recipes that help you satisfy your salad cravings all winter long.
Steak Salad with Spinach, Delicata Squash, and Blue Cheese – Delish.com
- 2 delicata squash, halved, seeds removed, and thinly sliced into half moons.
- 6 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
- Salt and pepper
- 6 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 lb. flank steak
- 2 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
- ½ tsp honey
- 5 oz. spinach
- ½ c blue cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- On baking sheet, toss squash with 1 Tbsp. olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Scatter with thyme sprigs and roast until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Discard thyme.
- Meanwhile, season steak generously with salt and pepper. Grease a grill pan with 1 Tbsp. olive oil and heat over high heat. Grill steak 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium rare, let sit 5 minutes, then slice thinly diagonally.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and honey, then slowly whisk in remaining 4 Tbsps. olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, drizzle spinach and roasted squash with 2/3 of the vinaigrette, tossing gently to combine. (Add more vinaigrette if you like.) Divide mixture among 4 plates and top with grilled steak and blue cheese. Serve immediately.
Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Chimichurri – Adapted from FamilyStyleFood.com
- 1 scallion, white and light green sections, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2/3 c. parsley, chopped
- ¼ c. olive oil
- 2 c peeled butternut squash, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 1 sweet potato, cut into 1 ½ inch pieces
- 1 bunch carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 yellow potatoes, sliced into 1 ½ inch pieces
- ½ c. sliced red onion
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 c. red cabbage, sliced.
- Make the chimichurri sauce: Put the scallion, garlic, red pepper flakes, and 1 tsp. salt in a small bowl. Pour the vinegar over and let sit 10 minutes. Add the parsley to the bowl and stir. Pour over the olive oil and stir again to blend.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine the squash, sweet potato, carrots, and yellow potato on a large rimmed baking sheet. Pour the oil over and add ½ tsp. salt. Toss everything together and roast 20 minutes.
- Add the red onion to the vegetables and stir the mixture around. Roast an additional 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and golden brown.
- Pour the vegetables in a large serving bowl along with the spinach and cabbage. Pour about half the sauce over and toss together. Serve with additional sauce on the side.
Market Shopping List:
- Delicata Squash
- Flank Steak
- Blue Cheese
- Butternut Squash
- Sweet Potato
- Yellow Potatoes
- Red Onion
- Red Cabbage