I have been cooking with a lot of celeriac this winter. Have you heard of or tried celeriac before? I’ll admit – it looks a little intimidating, kind of like the villain Davy Jones in the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.
But, celeriac is super easy to prepare and is a great substitute for celery, which we cannot find locally this time of year. I chop of the bottom tendril part with a chef’s knife, then peel the rest with a vegetable peeler. Once it’s peeled, you can cut it down more and slice it or grate it to fit whatever you are making.
This week, I thought I’d try Celeriac and Potato Rösti with Poached Eggs. What is a Rösti? Rösti is a Swedish dish, usually consisting of potatoes. It is essentially a potato pancake, and reminds me a lot of a latke. This recipe adds a twist by including celeriac as well.
Celeriac and Potato Rösti with Poached Eggs – Adapted from Olive Magazine
- 1 ¼ cup celeriac, peeled and grated
- 1 medium potato, peeled and grated
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 2 scallions, finely sliced
- Cooking oil spray
- 3 eggs
- Mustardy Salad:
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. wholegrain mustard
- 2 tsp. white wine vinegar
- Mixed greens
- Coarsely grate the celeriac and potato into a large, clean tea towel and, holding over the sink, squeeze out as much moisture as possible from the mixture. Tip into a bowl and stir through the flour, spring onions and plenty of seasoning.
- Heat a large frying pan and spray lightly with oil. Form the mix into 6 patties, each about 12cm wide and 1cm thick. Fry in batches, if necessary, for 2-3 minutes or until golden underneath. Flip and fry for another 2-3 minutes until again golden underneath and cooked through. Keep warm in a low oven while you poach the eggs.
- Fill a deep frying pan with gently simmering water. Crack the eggs into a small cup, one at a time, then drop gently into the water. Poach for 2-3 minutes or until the whites have just set. Scoop out with a slotted spoon and drain briefly on kitchen paper.
- Whisk together the olive oil, mustard and white wine vinegar in a bowl with some seasoning, then tip into the salad leaves and toss well.
- Divide the röstis between 3 plates, top each with a poached egg and some salad.
- Mixed Greens