June 3rd is National Egg Day. Eggs are an excellent source of protein, and are relatively inexpensive, making them a great option for a quick, budget-friendly meal that is also nutritious.
I cook with eggs a lot – especially in quiches. I find quiche is a great way to showcase the fresh, seasonal veggies that I find at the market. Below is a basic recipe that I use. The vegetables can be changed out for whatever is in season!
To make this a meal, I like to pair my quiche with a fresh, seasonal salad. This week at the market I picked up salad greens, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, and chives to constitute the salad.
Fresh Vegetable Quiche – Adapted from Dishing up the Dirt
- Frozen pie crust (or you can make your own if you’re ambitious)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb. asparagus, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 4 scallions, diced
- 1 bunch greens, chopped (swiss chard, kale, or mustard greens work well, but the sky’s the limit!)
- ¼ c. dry white wine (or veggie stock)
- ½ c. whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- ½ c. grated Gruyere cheese
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp. salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large cast iron skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add garlic and asparagus and cook, stirring often until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the greens and cook, stirring often until they begin to wilt a bit. Add the wine and continue to cook until the moisture evaporates. Remove the veggies from the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Add the cooked veggies and stir well. Pour the egg/veggie mixture into the pre-baked crust and place back in the oven and bake until the crust is a deep golden brown and the center is set. About 30-35 minutes. If the crust begins to brown too quickly place tin foil around the edges to prevent it from burning.
- Let the crust cool for about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Market Shopping List:
- (You can also find salad mix and accompanying veggies if you plan to make a salad!)