Strawberry Season has arrived! Getting fresh berries in at the market really makes it feel like summer.
I like to enjoy strawberries as a savory, as well as a sweet treat. Featured below are a couple of ways to enjoy strawberries in more savory way.
Caprese Salad with Strawberries – Adapted Martha Stewart
- 1 lb. plum, beefsteak, or cherry tomatoes (or a combination), cored and sliced ¼-inch thick
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- ¾-lb fresh mozzarella, sliced ¼-inch thick
- ¾-cup fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil, preferably extra-virgin
- Optional: Drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- Arrange tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil leaves in an alternating pattern on a large serving platter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper; drizzle with oil and balsamic vinegar if desired.
Strawberry and Kale Quinoa Salad – Adapted from Fit Foodie Finds
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups raw kale, deboned and chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 pint strawberries, sliced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large cucumber, chunked
- ½ cup minced red onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- 4 oz. feta, crumbled
- 3 Tbsp. hummus
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- ¼ tsp. salt
- First, prepare quinoa. In a medium pot, bring quinoa and water to a boil. Once boiling, turn to low and cover. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes or until quinoa is fully cooked. Set aside to cool for at least 15 minutes. Option to make ahead or chill in the refrigerator.
- Next, prepare salad dressing. Place all ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Next, prepare strawberry quinoa salad. Place kale into a large salad bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Use your hands to massage the kale in order to make it lighter and brighter in color and easier to digest.
- Add strawberries, cucumber, onion, basil, and feta crumbles to the salad bowl and toss to combine. Then, add cooled quinoa and toss again. Add in the walnuts and toss one more time.
- Finally, drizzle quinoa salad with dressing and toss to make sure everything is fully coated.
- Place salad in the refrigerator to chill and served cold
Market Shopping List:
- Maple Syrup