I love making pizzas because they require so little prep, and they are so versatile. Topping combinations are endless, and I like to play around with the sauce too! I will often top my pizza with pesto, like in the recipe below, or with Cheeky Monkey sauce, which is a tomato-garlic oil that I pick up at the Taste NY Broome store!
Below is a recipe for Zucchini Pesto Pizza that takes full advantage of fresh summer veggies.
Zucchini Pesto Pizza – Adapted from Country Living
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Pizza dough
- 2 small tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ c. refrigerated pesto
- 8 oz. zucchini and summer squash
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 c. grated Pecorino cheese
- ¼ tsp. pepper
- 1 small lemon
- ¼ c. packed fresh mint leaves
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Brush a pizza pan with oil. Toss pizza crust into a circle and place on the pan.
- Seed and slice tomatoes; place on towel. Sprinkle with salt; let stand 10 minutes.
- Spread pesto on crust. Blot tomatoes; place on pesto. Top with thinly sliced zucchini and summer squash, remaining 2 tsp. olive oil, grated Pecorino cheese, and pepper.
- Bake 15 minutes or until squash is tender and crust is browned. Grate peel of lemon over pizza. Top with fresh mint leaves, chopped.
Market Shopping List:
- Summer Squash